Friday 24 September 2010

knit pieces

I love to make things, motivated by a constant curiosity which I find hard to satisfy, always wanting to learn new techniques and pick up ones I haven't used for a while. It's cyclical; flurries of creativity in one material or technique, until something else catches my eye.

These are some of my knitted neckpieces, inspired by things that always move me- faded seashore colours, textures of eroded finds washed up on the beach, smooth pebbles, lumpy seaweed, driftwood, old rope.

They are made from treasured old fabrics which remind me of precious things, times, people. The buttons I inherited from my great grandma's button box, the shredded silks were leftovers from countless wedding and bridesmaid dresses painstakingly made by my mum.

I love the idea of having these materials re-purposed, giving them new life and the chance to be enjoyed. Recycled materials, reinterpreted memories.






Making these feeds my love of texture, creating contrasting surfaces using different thicknesses of threads and fibres and different sized knitting needles to vary the stitch size. 







No comments:

Post a Comment