Sunday 9 March 2014

Rusty circles


I've always enjoyed the effects of weathering and seeing the impact of the elements over time. I find coastlines endlessly inspiring, the ceaseless erosion by waves, wind and salty air on wood, stone and metal.




I am mesmerised by patination and rust and have been exploring natural rust colours with rust dying.


I love the ginger tones that rusty iron creates and have been using similar shapes that I use in my jewellery to explore colour and pattern.



These experimental samples include iron wire, handmade paper, cotton, linen, muslin, hand stitch and burning to create holes and more natural colouration from the deep brown of the burnt edge.

In using copper in my jewellery I try to exploit the natural colouration from heat and exposure to the air, incorporating the warm peach tones, through to deep reds that copper takes on over time.


I can't resist playing with repeated shapes.




2 comments:

  1. Such exciting work- really useful to read about your thoughts and processes - I'd love to follow your progress with this if that's okay - bookmarking your page. Just been to a day's ecoprinting workshop (not very successful for me) but the subject of rust printing came up. As a lover of rust it is something I an interested in persuing.
    www.jac-howard.co.uk
    www.flickr.com/photos/jacseeryhoward/

    ReplyDelete